Wednesday, July 25, 2012

jardin du luxembourg

I've been to Paris many times, but until last year only for a few days per visit.  Sometimes two weekends in one month, but never all at once.  This means I've got a long lists of wanna visits.  Well, I finally crossed one off that list.  A couple years ago I noticed the palais & jardin du luxembourg when I was atop the Montparnasse skyscraper and really wanted to go check it out since the garden was HUGE!

Yesterday, I hopped on the B not knowing where I was going.  I knew I wanted to go to a tourist site, and I also wanted to hit a park, but yet I didn't want to go to the jardin des tuleries.  I was going to get off at Gare du Nord or Chatlet and then see what metros went where, or maybe get off at Notre Dame.  But, then I noticed that the B stopped at Luxembourg, and I knew that today was finally the day.




Montparnasse

Even the Tour d'eiffel is visible!



After spending a few hours there walking, relaxing, chatting, video skyping with family, and writing, I knew I'd be coming here as much as possible.  But, I didn't expect to return the next day too.  But, once I left, I knew I couldn't stay away long.

When I awoke today, the sky was clear and it was hot.  The park was going to be the perfect place to enjoy / escape the heat.






This is definitely a place that honors the ladies.  Most of the statues are of women.  Finally, females in history.  This is because this house was almost always owned by a woman.  It was built in the early 1600's for the queen mother and other than a couple kings who usually housed women here, it was always owned by a woman.

A beautiful statue of the famous author, George Sand.



A statue showing someone sticking their hand in the mouth of truth (which is in Rome).  Normally I'd expect the figure to be male, but here in this garden, it's a female!

Yep, I think this just might be my new favorite place!

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm... this place could be Paris' answer to Parc Tete d'Or... I can't wait to visit it:) Plus I could sail a boat on the boat pond!

    ReplyDelete