Thursday, August 2, 2012

Chick-fil-a

I LOVE Chick-fil-a.  Their chicken salad sandwich and sweet tea is quite possibly one of my favorite meals on the planet.  I think anyone boycotting them is insane because they are missing out on amazing food.

It is a fast food restaurant and the leader is entitled to his personal opinion and I have NO problem that he publicly expressed an opinion that I disagree with.  The more voices that are heard the better for the conversation.  I don't want to shut anyone up.

That said, I do have a problem with Christians flocking to support Chick-fil-a because they need to "defend" themselves from the attack of the boycott.  He's the one who said hateful things.  The anti-LGBT groups are the attackers.  You are NOT under attack.  I saw an article titled "Chick-fil-a haters demonstrate growing intolerance of Christianity."

Bull-Shit!  (and yes, as a Christian I have no problem using "bad" words when called for)

If anything, the haters are gaining their voices and fighting for their freedom.  It could also be titled "Chick-fil-a supporters demonstrate growing hatred of others."

Is that what you want to be known for?  Hatred?  Because that is how "the world" sees you.  That is wrong.  Jesus said we should be known for our love.  NOT our hate.

So Christian beliefs are being tossed aside.  So what?  If people do not want to live the way you think they should.  So what?  What should you do about it?

Jump on a bandwagon condemning them and trying to legislate their behavior?
OR
Fight for their rights alongside them and LOVE them as Jesus would?

So you think being gay is a choice and is wrong.  So what?  Unless you are dealing with same sex attraction, what does it matter to you?  (And if you are dealing with attraction you think is wrong, please see the link at the end of the blog.)

God did not say you should only love those with whom you agree 100%.  No, he said to love your enemies.  Your opinion on other people lives should not be shared unless they are your friend and ask for it.  No, the only thing that should be shared is love.

If you do not have any LGBT friends, then the problem is with you, NOT with them.  If you don't have any non-Christian friends, get out of your bubble.  Jesus didn't spend all his time hanging out with the pharisees!

Right now, if you post about your support for Chick-fil-a, you are hurting your LGBT friends.  Yes, I said HURTING.  They aren't attacking you.  You are attacking them.

If I have offended you, I truly apologize.  I am angry that Christians are known by their hate and every single one of us need to understand it's our fault and we MUST change.  You can de-friend me if you disagree with me, but why?  Why would you want to shut down the conversation?  Isn't it healthy to connect with those with whom you disagree?  I am friends with republicans, even teapartiers, democrats, libertarians, independents, and political haters.  I am friends with Christians, yes, even legalistic fundamentalists, Muslims, atheists, and more.  I am friends with people in many different jobs, in many different countries, in many different life stages.  Although I have a few LGBT friends, it is the community with the most difficult bridge to cross.  This stupid culture war between LGBT's and Christians means those I meet, even those I connect with feel a need to protect themselves from me wondering if I will hurt them like all the other Christians.  Where have we gone wrong?  How are they to find Jesus if his followers hate them?  Jesus loves them.  And right now, he probably likes them much better.  He always did seem to connect with the under-dog...

If you are interested in trying to love your LGBT neighbor, a good place to start is to connect with your fellow Christians who are LGBT.  Check out http://www.gaychristian.net

No comments:

Post a Comment